Monday, May 14, 2007

I know, i know....

It has certainly been a while since my last post. I assure you that it was one of my resolutions on starting this blog that i wouldn't just post one or 2 times and then abandon it. Well here is number 3 so i've made it....

I think possibly part of my lack of posting has been due to a persistent lack of any coherent gathering of thoughts over the last few weeks. But one has been pervading my mind most of all:

Why is it so easy to be engrossed in God's word when I'm in a group context and I'm learning from or studying with others but so hard to concentrate and commit myself when I am alone? I was at a meeting for our upcoming Tambar Springs Mission recently and we spent some time discussing the bible and in particular trawling through its pages finding great memory verses. I loved it, I was enthralled. But when I'm alone, sometimes it's so hard to find enthusiasm for reading the same words.

I guess this shows the importance of the church as a body of people gathering and encouraging each other, but it still leaves me with the same problem.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about these things. What your experiences have been, and whether you have any ideas or suggestions.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Welcome back... we missed you Danny.

Good topic - I find this really hard too. Love praying and reading the bible with others. Not so easy when it's just me and God

Laura T said...

Having just worked 5 days over the past two weeks not my usual 4, I’m not sure how any full time workers manage coherent thoughts on weeknights.. I am in awe of you all.

Jill said...

I think praying together is such a great encouragement. Maybe we should be praying together more often than our regular bible study times.

jessitosa said...

I'm the opposite. I love reading the Bible over coffee in a quiet cafe by myself, or in a faraway park I've ridden to on my bicycle.. then again I have more time on my hands than many..

I guess I just crave intimacy all the time and savour every moment God and I have together. Then there's the praying out loud.. I find nothing more liberating!

(Oh DJ, you know how emo I am..)